Firework and bonfire night
Having fireworks at home can be great fun, as long as they are used safely. Figures show more children rather than adults get hurt by fireworks. Over the past five years over 350 pre-school children, some only a year old, were treated in hospital for fireworks injuries. Please ensure whilst enjoying this time of year that you look after your safety and the safety of others.
Did You Know?
- It is against the law to carry fireworks in public if you’re under 18
- Fireworks must not be sold to anyone who is under 18
- It is an offence to let fireworks off during night hours (11pm to 7am), except on Bonfire Night (midnight), Diwali, New Year, and Chinese New Year (1am)
- It is an offence under the Explosives Act 1875 to tamper with or modify fireworks
- Did you know that sparklers can reach temperatures more than 15 times as hot as boiling water?
Halloween safety tips
Recently the nation was shocked by the appalling Halloween accident involving television presenter Claudia Winkleman’s eight-year-old daughter Matilda. While the specifics of the incident are still not clear, the incident nevertheless serves as a shocking reminder of both the dangers of naked flames, as well as the devastating effect accidents can have in general – particularly when young children are involved.
Last year alone, 138 people in England were admitted to hospital after their clothing either ignited or melted, and as the case of Matilda Winkleman shows how an unattended flame has the ability of turning a happy family event into every parent’s worst nightmare in a matter of seconds.
We hope you all enjoy this time of year and are able to do so safely.
Testing your smoke detector
A smoke alarm is provided as a way to protect your family from smoke and fire injuries, but you must take the time to test it to ensure that it’s working properly. A properly functioning smoke detector doubles your chance of surviving a fire by warning you of a dangerous situation before it’s too late. You should never remove or cover your smoke detectors, you never know when I fire might occur.
We will try to attend annually to test your detector and replace batteries where required, but you can also test them too.
Candles sparked more than 1,000 UK house fires, resulting in 13 deaths and 474 injuries, in just one year, latest figures show. With this in mind, RoSPA is reminding families to extinguish candles and oil lamps before going to bed, and to never leave them burning unattended, in a draught or anywhere near curtains or under shelves, which could ignite.
Most importantly, don’t leave any candles and oil lamps burning unattended, especially near curtains and soft furnishings, and always make sure you put them out before going to bed as that is when a fire often takes hold with devastating results.