Ask for help

‘go girls’ visit parliament

Members of a young women’s support group from Torfaen and Newport went to Parliament on the day of the Budget to talk to politicians about some of the issues that are important to them.

The young women from Go Girls, which is run by Bron Afon Community Housing and Charter Housing, took a tour of the Houses of Parliament, watched Prime Minister’s Questions taking place and spoke to MPs during their visit.

They met with Andrew Tuggey, High Sheriff of Gwent and Nick Thomas-Symonds, MP for Torfaen, to share ideas around equality, positive mental health and healthy relationships.

all outside hoodies

Suzy Sorby, Youth Engagement and Support Officer, Bron Afon, said: “It was amazing for the Go Girls to see Prime Ministers Questions live and it empowered them to realise the potential they have at such a young age. The young women left with a clearer picture of politics,  the importance of voting to get their voices heard and to sign up to the electoral register.”

Shannon Brandon, Go Girl from Torfaen, said: “It was a really great experience and I’m glad that I went. It was a very eventful day and if I ever had an opportunity to go again, I would in a heartbeat.”

Rebecca Maggs, one of the Go Girls from Newport, said: “I had a great time on the trip. It was a real eye opener seeing what happened during Prime Minister’s Question Time and seeing the budget was amazing. It was really good to share the experience with the other Go Girls and be involved together.”

Ruth Davies, Community Development Manager (Young People and Families), Charter Housing, said: “All the girls had a great time and we got a real sense of the historic importance of the day. We’ve done a lot of work around women’s equality and especially the suffragette  movement. It was fantastic seeing democracy in action.”

Feel free to share this page

Talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Charter Housing, please contact us via telephone on 01633 212375. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email.

quick links