What to do if you smell gas
If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, call the gas emergency number 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night, 365 days a year.
Wales and West Utilities also provide some steps to follow if you can smell gas:-
- Turn off the gas at the meter, unless the meter is located in a cellar or basement – in which case, do not enter.
- If there is a smell of gas in the cellar or basement, you should evacuate the building.
- Extinguish all naked flames – do not smoke or strike matches.
- Turn off all gas appliances and do not use until they are checked by the engineer.
- Do not operate any electrical appliances or turn any switches on or off.
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the property.
- Keep people away from the area.
- Immediate access will be required.
Wales and West Utilities will always make the situation safe, if any further works are required to the installation or appliance(s) then please contact us to arrange for a Gas Safe Engineer to attend to ensure the installation and appliance(s) are operating safely and as they should