Ask for help

private landlord rentals

Renting from a private landlord is now a flexible option, even for those on a low income or in receipt of benefits.

Accommodation can be accessed quickly and most councils maintain lists of landlords who are prepared to accommodate people on benefits or low incomes. Housing benefit assistance may be available in these circumstances.

You should get in touch with your local Housing Benefit office for advice and assistance in claiming a contribution to your rent.

  • Newport  City Council  01633 656656
  • Monmouthshire County Council One Stop Shops – Abergavenny (01873 735800), Caldicot (01291 426400), Chepstow (01291 635700), Monmouth (01600 775200)
  • Torfaen County Borough Council 01495 766430/766349
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council 01443 866567

What is a Bond Scheme?

Bond schemes are a paper bond guarantee to private landlords up to the value of one month’s rent.

Most private landlords require tenants to pay a bond, equivalent to one month’s rent, to secure against damage to property or unpaid rent at the end of the tenancy.

Who qualifies for the Bond Scheme?

Bond schemes help people access private rented accommodation if they are homeless, vulnerably housed, on benefit or a low income.

How do I apply for the Bond Scheme?

Solas Right Move Bond Guarantee Schemes operate in partnership with local authorities in Newport, Monmouthshire and Torfaen.  If you think you may qualify for the Bond Scheme, please ask for further information from –

  • General Enquires – 01633 225 092
  • Newport – 01633 225 094
  • Monmouthshire – 01633 225 093
  • Torfaen – 01633 225 095
  • Caerphilly County Council – 01443 873582/3
private rentals, bond scheme, landlords, how do I apply,

Feel free to share this page

Talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Charter Housing, please contact us via telephone on 01633 212375. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email.

quick links

connect with us


contact us