Top Tips for keeping your home safe
Here’s some tips of what you can do to help keep your home safe.
- Smoke alarm: Test your smoke alarm regularly by pressing the button on the cover. Your smoke alarm will make a sound if it is in working order.
- Candles: Keep candles away from curtains, furniture and clothes. Always place them on a stable surface and make sure they are out before you go to bed.
- Electrics: Unplug any appliances you are not using and do not overload plug sockets.
- Heaters: Keep heaters well away from items that could catch light, such as furniture and clothes. Ensure heaters are turned off properly after being used.
- Smoking: Make sure cigarettes are put out and disposed of carefully.
- Cooking: Never leave pans unattended when cooking and don’t cook if you are tired or have been drinking alcohol.
- Exits: Know your escape route, and keep all exits in your home and in communal areas clear at all times