Ask for help

Earn Money by Renting a Room in your Home

Have you considered taking in a lodger? If you have a spare bedroom you could generate additional income* and at the same time assist someone who is struggling to find suitable affordable accommodation.

Taking in a lodger is not only a good way to earn extra income, they can also provide extra security if you are away from home. A lodger can sometimes become a friend or a good companion for people who live alone.

Before taking in a lodger  you will need to obtain written permission from your landlord. It is also advisable to inform your insurers. Not all types of tenancy agreement allow you to take in a  lodger so contact your Neighbourhood Manager for advice before you make any arrangements.

*You need to be aware that if you are in receipt of a means tested benefit or receive single person discount on your Council Tax, these will currently be affected if you decide to take in a lodger.


Feel free to share this page

Talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Charter Housing, please contact us via telephone on 01633 212375. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email.

quick links